Available YouTube Video(s) for this Topic:
Often in a data collection task there is a need to take a photographic record of a scene or to take a picture of a person. Using TaroWorks you can store a picture from your device and upload it to your Salesforce instance. The picture can be from either the built-in camera or attached from the device’s storage.
This document will detail how to add a Photo Question to your form and how to answer it in the device.
How to Add a Photo Question
- Edit an existing draft form or start a new one. Go to the Question Builder tab.
- On the left margin, click Photo (red arrow) to add the question to the bottom, or click and drag it to insert into your form.
- Enter a Caption. Add Supporting text and check Required as desired.
- Click Save to save the section.
- Scoring is not available for Photo questions.
- You can set show/hide logic for a Photo question as normal.
- Photo can be used as condition for other questions. It can be either answered or not answered.
- Compatible field types for mapping are:
- Text; and,
- URL (this is recommended)
- Note that this maps the link to the image stored on the salesforce instance, normally that can only be accessed by someone who is logged into your instance.
- For more, please refer to the Question-Field Mapping Compatibility Table.
Passing Values through Hierarchy Drill Down
- There is a bug that currently allows the user to pass values from fields in the Hierarchy Drill Down into a Photo question. This should be avoided as it can crash the Android app.
How to Answer a Photo Question in the Device
- When you reach a photo question, you have the option to take a picture or choose an image from your device memory by pressing the corresponding button (see below.)
- If you pressed “Take Picture” then your device’s camera interface to open. (This is different for each device and you can change any settings such as resolutions, flash and filters.)
- Press the shutter button and then you should have an option to save the picture or discard it. Press Save.
- A thumbnail image will appear under the buttons, you can then proceed to answer other questions. This is the image that will be sent to your Salesforce instance upon sync.
- If you pressed the Choose Image, a dialog box appears and asks if you wish to choose pictures from the File Manager or the Gallery (see below).
- Find and select the image file. The image will be displayed under the button as a thumbnail. Continue with the data collection task.
Tips and Tricks
- Large images will be automatically be changed to lower resolutions to save time on sync.
- The image is actually stored as an attachment inside the submission record generated by the form.
- You can press and hold the picture to get the Remove Response option, you will be asked to confirm once more. Caution: that this cannot be undone.