Our customers have reported the best field experience with Samsung devices that meet the minimum system specifications. The following devices are the most common devices used by our customers:
- Samsung SM-G313HU Galaxy Ace NXT
- (-) Small screen makes typing challenging
- Samsung GT-S5303 Galaxy Y Plus
- (-) Small screen size
- Samsung GT-S5301 Galaxy Pocket Plus
- (-) Small screen size
- A larger screen size provides a better user experience, especially when using tabular format, which allows users to enter data in a spreadsheet-like format.
- Small devices can draw less attention in insecure areas.
- Makes to avoid if possible:
- Tecno - Issues include frequent breakdowns, poor battery life and incompatibility with TeamViewer.
- Motorola - in the G4 Play we're seeing issues with the native camera app and incompatibility with TeamViewer
- It is always best to test the devices before you buy. Where possible, install the TaroWorks android app and confirm that it functions as expected before you purchase (at least more than 1).
- Check the return policy of the store to assess what your options are.
- For market research/survey applications: It has been reported by some users that larger tablets encourage a more positive engagement as people are more curious about them versus the smaller phones.
- We've heard reports from our customers that lower-end tablets' SIM cards connections can be extremely unreliable. If you need to transmit data via mobile network, then you should invest in a higher end tablet or phone. Also, be sure to investigate the cell phone coverage for your area of operation as this varies from locales to locales.
Features & Apps to Consider in your device
- If you have a DUAL SIM phone, you should only connect using the SIM card in Slot 1. Otherwise you may not be able to login or sync.
- If GPS function is important to you, it is recommended that you try the device in the field first before buying (in bulk) to test its accuracy and battery life. See other recommendations on improving location services.
- Google Play installed (many do not have this available, as the manufacturers save a few dollars this way, but it could limit some interesting options for apps that are available and could add value also
- If you need barcode scanning functionality, please download a suitable App from Google Play. (Eg. Google Goggles)
- Note the device firmware and get a copy of the file from the vendor if possible. In rare cases, future upgrades to the firmware could interfere with app.