Available YouTube Video(s) for this Topic:
Within TaroWorks, each field officer is represented by a Mobile User record that helps to control their data access. To enable field officers to perform their jobs even while disconnected from the internet, key information needs to be downloaded to the device first. This is especially critical if a job has defined a hierarchy drill down for view data tasks or for passing values into questions in surveys.
It is often better to limit a Mobile User’s access to only those information they need for their duties - this is often faster and less confusing for the field officer doing the job. For example, someone working with farms in the northern part of a province should only need to download information related their area of responsibility.
This is accomplished by assigning records to each mobile user. When a record is assigned, TaroWorks will automatically sync information from that record and also records of related objects (via either lookup or master-detail relationships) for use in published jobs.
This article will cover how to assign records to a mobile user and remove those assignments if need be.
- Records Assignments will take effect on the mobile user next sync.
- If you are uncertain about your object model / data structure, it is best to review it first before starting.
- Only the top level objects need to be assigned, it is not necessary to manually assign all the child records here. For example, if Farms A, B and C look up to a certain Area record X, then simply assign the Area record X in order to access the farms - no need to individually assign Farms A, B and C.
- Certain Salesforce objects such as history and feed cannot be assigned, this is by design.
PART A: How to assign records to a Mobile User
- Click on the Mobile User tab (green box). You should see a screen as shown below.
- Click on the Username (in email format) of the field officer you want to assign records to.
- Under the Mobile User Detail is the section that allows you to Assign Records to this Mobile User. Note that the current assignment table (green box) might be empty. Click Assign Records (red arrow).
- The Records Assignment screen will appear as shown below. Choose an object in the Select Object droplist (green arrow).
- Click Assign Records button (red box).
- The pop-up dialog box below will appear. Set filter(s) by selecting the Field, Operator and the Value (red box), then set additional filters if necessary by clicking the Add Filter link (red arrow).
NOTE: If you set Value to blank, it would be interpreted as any value. So the filter below will find all the Schools in your database.
NOTE: Currently filter options are limited. Enhancements will be available in the future.
- When filters are set, click Display / Refresh Records (green box).
- A list of records that pass the filter would be displayed. If necessary, repeat Steps 7 & 8 to change the list of records shown.
- Use the top checkboxes (red box) to select/unselect all filtered records and use the other checkboxes (green box) to select individually. Click Submit (red arrow) when done.
- In the Manage Records section, you will see that the list of selected records.
- Repeat steps 6 to 10 to add more records, or select records shown using the check boxes (red box) and click Unassign Records (red arrow) to remove them.
- Click Save (green box) to confirm the displayed records for assignment to this mobile user.
- You will be returned to the Mobile User detail page, a summary of the assigned records can be seen in the table (red box).
NOTE: If you wish, you may assign records of more objects by pressing Assigned Record and starting from step 6 again.
PART B: How to un-assign records from a Mobile User
- To un-assign ALL records for a certain object from a mobile user, click Delete (red box) for the object.
WARNING: This cannot be undone. You will have to reassign all records again later.
- To un-assign some records for a certain object, click Edit (green box) and then use the Unassign Records button as mentioned in Step 12 above.
WARNING: This cannot be undone. You will have to reassign those records again later.
NOTE: Object name will often have extra underscores and the letter 'c' at the end. This is normal.