Sidebox: Where do all the data go if it is NOT mapped?
To allow for maximum flexibility in form design and to save on storage space, information collected in a data collection task are stored in a custom data structure meant for TaroWorks’ use only. These can be viewed from the Form Manager page by clicking on the number in the Responses column and it can also be exported as CSV files, however it would be impractical (and impossible in some cases) to use stored data for making reports and dashboards inside Salesforce. If your operations require a large volume of data to be collected on an ongoing basis, field mapping is the only realistic option.
- You should have a form with questions. While it doesn’t have to be complete, it is efficient to have most of the questions already there to reduce going back and forth between tabs.
- If you are mapping fields of an object that is complex or unfamiliar, it useful to have a browser tab open of that object’s definition in Setup or the a sample record for reference purposes.
- Click the field mapping tab, it should look like the screen below. Note the Add button (green arrow), as well as the Submission Date (red box) that are always above your sections and questions which are shown in rows.
PART A: How to Add a new object to be mapped
- Click on the Add button (green arrow), this will create a column with two droplists at the top (red box).
- NOTE: Also note that dropboxes have appeared in the column next to all questions that can be mapped.
- Click on the Object droplist to see all the choices available for field mapping.
- TIP: The list can be extremely long, type in the first two letters to get to the object you want. For example type “CO” to get to find Contact quickly.
- TIP: It is possible for two objects to have the same name, make sure you are mapping to the right one.
- TIP: If the object you wish to map to is not in the list, it is possible that you lack the permission to see it. Please contact your Salesforce administrator.
- NOTE: Objects exclusively used for TaroWorks cannot be mapped.
- Please give it a moment to load the fields before doing other actions.
- NOTE: The functions of Id Field and Is Reference object will be explained later. Use as interviewee may also appear. It is no longer used and should be left blank.
- If you wish, you may add another object by repeating steps 1 to 3 above.
WARNING: Use EXTREME CAUTION when DELETING / CHANGING a Mapped Object
Once you have mapped an Object for use in a form, the following actions will negatively affect the form and could cause data to be lost:
PART B: How to Map a Question to a Field
- Once an object has been chosen and the fields loaded, droplists in the column will become active.
- Click on a droplist for the question you wish to map and all the applicable fields will be shown.
- TIP: For more information, please see the current Question-Field Mapping Compatibility Table.
- TIP: Lookup and Master-Detail fields are not mapped directly. Please see the Intermediate Field Mapping Guide.
- TIP: If a field is missing, you may lack the permission to view it. Please contact your Salesforce Administrator.
- NOTE: The same field cannot be mapped to two different questions within a column.
- Continue until all desired fields are mapped. To change mapping or to unmap a question, simply click the droplist and make another choice.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Save to periodically save your progress. Click Save and Continue to go to the Preview Tab. Click Cancel to discard all changes since last save.
- NOTE: You can generally save and continue mapping later but if there are any errors, you will not be allowed to save until those are resolved.
WARNING: Use EXTREME CAUTION when DELETING / CHANGING a Mapped Field
Once you have mapped a Field for use in a form, the following actions will negatively affect the form and could cause data to be lost:
PART C: How to Remove all Mapping from an Object
- Scroll to the top of the screen. Click on the Remove this column link (green arrow) for the object you wish to remove.
- You will be asked to confirm this action.
Specific Limitations regarding Fields
- Checkbox, Email and Text (Encrypted) fields cannot be mapped - these will be supported in future releases.
- Formula and Roll-Up Summary fields are read-only and thus cannot be mapped to by design.
- Lookup and Master-Detail fields are not mapped directly. Please see Intermediate Field Mapping Guide for the section on Related Object Mapping.
- For a full list, please see the current Question-Field Mapping Compatibility Table.
- In line with Salesforce best practice, TaroWorks will not allow you to save in the field mapping tab unless all required fields of that object has been mapped to a question.
- Furthermore, TaroWorks will force questions mapped to these required fields to be required as well.
- Be careful applying logic to these questions, as hiding them (and hence not answering them) may cause sync errors.
- An exception to this behaviour is when you map an object as a reference object (see section on Mapping Related Objects in the Intermediate Field Mapping Guide), the Field Mapping Tab will not force the reference object’s required fields to be mapped.