Within TaroWorks, each field officer is represented by a User account. In order to send records from Salesforce to the TaroWorks mobile app, mobile users need to be assigned which records should be sent.
It is often better to limit a Mobile User’s access to only those information they need for their duties - this shortens sync time and creates a more efficient user experience for the field officer. For example, someone working with farms in the northern part of a province should only need to download information related their area of responsibility. However, you typically want to do your mobile record assignment at at least one level above where records are being generated in the field. That way, the TaroWorks administrator doesn't need to conduct another mobile record assignment for mobile users that need access to newly created data. Refer to this article if you need more information about the level at which you should be assigning records.
When a record is assigned, TaroWorks will automatically sync information from that record and also records of child objects (via either lookup or master-detail relationships) for use in published jobs.
This article will cover how to assign records to a mobile user and remove those assignments if need be.
- Newly assigned records or new child records of existing assignments will be sent to the device with every sync.
- Only the top level objects need to be assigned, it is not necessary to manually assign all the child records here. For example, if Farms A, B and C look up to a certain Area record X, then simply assign the Area record X in order to access all the child farms - no need to individually assign Farms A, B and C.
- Certain Salesforce objects such as history and feed cannot be assigned. This is by design.
PART A: How to assign records to a Mobile User
- Click on the Mobile Users tab (green box). You should see a screen as shown below.
- Click on the Username (in email format) of the field officer you want to assign records to.
- When you're doing assignments for an object for the first time, click Assign Records (red arrow).
- The Records Assignment screen will appear as shown below. Choose an object in the Select Object droplist (green arrow).
- Click Assign Records button (red box).
- The pop-up dialog box below will appear. Set filter(s) by selecting the Field, Operator and the Value (red box), then set additional filters if necessary by clicking the Add Filter link (red arrow).
NOTE: If you set Value to blank, it would be interpreted as any value. So the filter below will find all the Schools in your database.
- When filters are set, click Display / Refresh Records (green box).
- A list of records that pass the filter would be displayed. If necessary, repeat Steps 7 & 8 to change the list of records shown.
- Use the top checkboxes (red box) to select/unselect all filtered records and use the other checkboxes (green box) to select individually. Click Submit (red arrow) when done.
- In the Manage Records section, you will see that the list of selected records.
- Repeat steps 6 to 10 to add more records, or select records shown using the check boxes (red box) and click Unassign Records (red arrow) to remove them.
- Click Save (green box) to confirm the displayed records for assignment to this mobile user.
- You will be returned to the Mobile User detail page, a summary of the assigned records can be seen in the table (red box).
NOTE: If you wish, you may assign records of more objects by pressing Assigned Record and starting from step 6 again.
PART B: How to un-assign records from a Mobile User
- To un-assign ALL records for a certain object from a mobile user, click Delete (red box) for the object.
WARNING: This cannot be undone. You will have to reassign all records again later.
- To un-assign some records for a certain object, click Edit (green box) and then use the Unassign Records button as mentioned in Step 12 above.
WARNING: This cannot be undone. You will have to reassign those records again later.